Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Semester 2 Final Reflection

Throughout my time in Convergence Journalism this year I've learned a lot, and although some of what I've learned is minor, it all contributes to the overall quality of my packages.

One of the first things I learned this year is that being able to work with a team is vital. While I am responsible for my own packages, it's important to collaborate with others to ensure that the show is quality and all of the packages that are scheduled to air are shown. I learned this time and time again when I didn't tell the producer the status of my package so they had to check up on me.

I've also learned that two interviews is the minimum for each package that I complete. This is offers more than one perspective and gives the viewer more information about the event. Depending on the package and angle being taken, the interviewee usually tells the story. If only one interview is shown, there could be missing information from the package that is key to the story. It's also important to know as much as possible about the event you're filming so that you can tell the story correctly. On top of all that, I've also learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses as a journalist.

I believe that one of my greatest strengths is my voice overs. I think it's the correct tone and extremely clear; there are also no breathing noises or random pauses. My voice overs add to the quality of the package and if the package is to be professional, then a solid voice over is essential. I also believe that my voice overs have gotten better since the beginning of the year; however, there is always room for improvement. Another one of my strengths is my editing.

When it comes to video editing, I think that I am able to consistently keep my audio where it needs to be, color correct dark interviews or shots, and make the cuts necessary if some shots do not help the story, or cut an interview sound bite short if there is excess information that isn't needed - without making the cut obvious. My editing abilities have helped me enormously as the editing process is when the story comes together. I plan to pursue video editing as a career in the future, so everything I learn now will surely benefit me far beyond High School. While I do excel is some areas of Journalism, I am still a work in progress and struggle at both script writing and in some aspects of filming.

One of my weaknesses is script writing. Both for the live show and for voice overs in my packages. Although my scripts tell the story as they should, I don't think they are at the level they should be at. In some of my packages, such as the Raven Pops story, there are holes in the script that are important to the story. Specific the Raven Pops package, all of the solo and duet performers were not recognized. I am fault for this and will continue to look for ways to improve. Another one of my weaknesses is filming, ironically.

To say the least: my filming is subpar. Many of shots are out of focus, and others are shaky. When it comes to focusing shots, it can be difficult to tell whether or not they're in focus as the screen on the camera doesn't always make it very clear. It's not uncommon for me to be under the belief that my shot is focused only for me to import my footage later on and discover it was far from it, and sometimes also shaky; however, shaky shots are completely my fault. I don't use a tripod and that's something I will do next year. My filming is the only thing I would change because of all my simple mistakes that are easily corrected.

Putting all of this aside, I've truly enjoyed being in this class even though I don't always show it. If my filming is corrected, I know there is a future for me in Journalism. I'm looking forward to Senior year and making ONW Now much better than it was this year. As long as the incoming Juniors are committed, there are no limits.











No comments:

Post a Comment