Friday, November 20, 2015

10 Most Fascinating People of 2014 Review

The scope of this video was to highlight the lives of some of the more interesting people in the world. The film ranks them from 1 being the most interesting to 10 being the least interesting on the list. The video also goes into detail about their accomplishments and some stories from their childhood.

The film told the stories of multiple celebrities and I noticed that many of them wanted to be successful and famous from a very young age. For example, Scarlet Johansson wanted to be an actor ever since she was very little and began auditioning for films at the young age of 8. In the beginning it was stated that the majority of the fascinating people were females, and I found this true as the film went on. Also, instead of having a separate episode for each celebrity shown to create an effect of suspense, there was just one long video with commercial breaks in between each story. I do think that if each celebrity had their own episode then that would keep the viewer hooked and locked in because there is a curiosity of who's next.

There were many stories told in this film. All of the stories were about celebrities and they were all ranked in who was the most interesting from 1-10. Their stories were told through interviews, clips from their childhood, and some movies they've starred in in the past and some more recent.

One element from this work that I would apply to my own is the professional interview set up with great audio and an appealing background. I thought that this definitely added to the quality of the film, and obviously made it look more professional. The reason I'd add this element is because I've noticed that my interview set ups, more often than not, tend to lack good audio and lighting. While my interviews are good enough to use in my packages, the quality could definitely improve.

I noticed that they used lighting kits in their interviews instead of just finding a well lit spot and going with it. I have already learned how to set up light kits and use them to improve my interviews but I thought it was great to see that this skill is applicable in the real world. I plan on incorporating proper lighting into more of my interviews so that I am able make my work seem more professional than it already is.

One thing the creator of this film did well was finding B-Role that matched what the host and the current celebrity were talking about. They were not ill prepared and actually had footage of some of the celebrity's childhoods. This most likely wasn't an easy task since the footage from their childhood was probably old. There were also pictures to support the story; I thought that was key in helping give viewers an idea of what the environment they grew up in looked like. Although don't get me wrong, the footage helped do that as well.

Something the film could improve on is making the stories longer. While the film was good regardless of length, there is always room for improvement and making the stories longer would have allowed them to go more in depth about the celebrities featured.

No comments:

Post a Comment